The Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme identifies people at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and refers them onto a nine-month, evidence-based lifestyle change programme.
The programme consists of seven fortnightly group sessions, followed by four monthly group sessions and a personal, end of programme review. The sessions take place within the community at different times and locations best suited to you.
In these sessions you will receive personalised support to manage your weight, eat more healthily and be more physically active – which together have been proven to reduce your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
It’s very important that you find out if you are at high risk of Type 2 diabetes so you can get access this support to lower your risk. This risk tool can help you find out if you’re at risk of developing the condition. It takes just a few minutes and could be the most important thing you do today.
You are eligible if you are:
- Aged 18 years and over
- Registered with a GP practice in north east London
- Have high glucose levels – Find out what this means here
- Not already diagnosed with diabetes
- Not pregnant
- Able to take part in moderate physical activity
If you have been told you are at risk of diabetes and meet the criteria, you can access your local Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme service in the following ways:
- A referral from your GP, nurse or other healthcare professional
- Completing the ‘Know your risk’ tool