Work is under way to create a brand-new health and care centre in the heart of Ilford town centre, bringing a range of new services to local people.
The new centre will be located across two floors in the Ilford Exchange shopping centre. It will provide easy access to a range of health, social care and community services in a single central location including:
• GP services
• Community blood testing
• Community podiatry
• Mental health support services
• Cranbrook and Loxford Health and Adult Social Care services
• 0-19 service – Health visiting and school nursing team
• Long term conditions services supporting people living with heart failure, diabetes and respiratory conditions
Construction work has now started following a six-week consultation with local people and planning approval from London Borough of Redbridge. The centre is expected to open in spring 2024.
Results of the consultation
Nearly 1,000 people took part in the consultation and the proposals received overwhelming public support. Of those who took part:
• 90% of people supported plans to expand existing GP services at the centre
• 93% of people supported plans to offer community blood testing services
• 88% of people supported proposals for health and adult social care services
• 77% of people supported plans for universal children’s (0-19) services at the centre
• 84% of people supported proposals for a community podiatry service at the centre
• 88% of people supported proposals for a mental health talking therapies service
• 91% of people supported plans for long-term conditions services which could include support for those living with heart failure, diabetes and respiratory conditions.
A complete summary of the consultation findings has now been published. Local people also provided valuable feedback on additional services and community groups they might like to have available at the centre, as well as views on accessibility.
The feedback received has been carefully considered by NHS North East London, NELFT NHS Foundation Trust, and the London Borough of Redbridge, in close collaboration with other organisations which all work together as part of the Redbridge Place-Based Partnership to deliver the plans. The Redbridge Place-based Partnership has now provided a response to the consultation feedback.