We are responsible for planning and buying health services for the people of Waltham Forest and making sure these services meet the needs of local people.
It’s our job to make sure that you receive high quality healthcare services whenever you need them – whether this is advice from a pharmacist or GP, a procedure in hospital, help at home through local community services, or if you need support with your mental health.
With seven other local authority areas – Barking and Dagenham, City of London, Hackney, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, and Tower Hamlets – we make up NHS North East London.
These partnerships bring together the NHS, local government and providers of health and social care services, including the voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector, residents and communities, to provide a strong understanding of what works well and what is needed by local communities. As well as the ability to integrate local services across health and care and the levers to tackle some of the wider things that impact health, such as housing and employment.
Plans for these partnerships are in development and we expect them to work and develop differently depending on a range of local factors. They will identify how to better meet the needs of the local population and reduce health inequalities, through their own priorities and outcomes.
They will be the bedrock of integration of health and care services, ensuring that services are wrapped around residents who need them at place and at a more local ‘neighbourhood’ level through integration and primary care networks – GP practices working together in their areas.
In Waltham Forest our place partnership brings together local partners to deliver multiple improvement and transformation programmes to support residents:
- The London Borough of Waltham Forest
- East London NHS Foundation Trust (ELFT)
- North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT)
- Barts Health NHS Trust
- Primary Care Networks – groups of GP practices working together with a range of local providers including social care, and the voluntary and community sector
- Waltham Forest Federated GP Network
Our key priorities as a place partnership are still in development.
North East London Health and Care Partnership
NHS North East London is part of North East London Health and Care Partnership. This is a formal alliance of health, care and community partners that works with and for all the people of north east London to create meaningful improvements in health, wellbeing and equity.
Waltham Forest is home to around 278,400 people. It has a diverse population including large Pakistani, Polish and Romanian communities. Our borough is one of the most deprived areas in England (15th out of 326 local authorities), and has complex health challenges that need to be addressed.
The borough has lower rates of women smoking in pregnancy, fewer adults who are obese or have excess weight, a lower incidence of malignant melanoma and a lower number of road injuries and deaths than the national average. On the other hand, the borough has significantly worse rates of infant mortality, obesity among children, smoking prevalence, recorded diabetes, incidence of tuberculosis and sexually transmitted infections.
While there has been some progress, there is still a long way to go to address health inequalities and improve local health outcomes, and that’s why we are working with partners as part of a place partnership to maximise the impact we can have on addressing health inequality.
We want to make sure that local people across Waltham Forest have access to the care and support they need. We will actively seek opportunities to work alongside residents and communities to co-design solutions to some of the challenges we face. We are always keen to find out what our local communities in Waltham Forest think and feel about their local NHS and care services through a range of activities including surveys, focus groups and workshops, as well as through partner organisations and patient forums.
You can get involved in a variety of ways:
- Join your local GP practice’s Patient Participation Group (PPG)
- Ask a question at our NHS North East London Board meetings
- Have your say on proposed changes to healthcare in Waltham Forest, and across north east London
- Join the online North East London Citizens’ Panel
- Get in touch with your local Healthwatch organisation
- We regularly share updates with our patients and stakeholders. If you would like to be added to our mailing list to receive this update by email, please contact TNW.firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also follow us on Twitter @NHS_TNW
- Please email email@example.com with any other NHS North East London queries, including any specific to Waltham Forest.